Being just back from an incredible trip in France for the last two weeks with my husband, I’m loving anything French. It’s funny, French food to me seems to always be one of two things… incredibly easy with few ingredients and super fresh or fussy, but worth-the-arduous-labor fancy. These toasts are great because you can prepare the goat cheese spread and roast the beets ahead of time and then just throw the toasts together right before guests arrive! This recipe comes from one of our good friends, who always make great food!
Recipe after the jump…
Beet & Goat Cheese Crostini
- 3/4 pound beets (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Goat Cheese Spread:
- 1 (5-ounce) package goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 24 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette, toasted
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare beets, leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish; add 1 cup water to dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets lengthwise into quarters, and cut each quarter crosswise into 9 (1/8-inch) slices.
In a medium bowl combine the vinegar, rind, juice, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beets; toss gently to coat.
To prepare cheese spread, combine goat cheese, mayonnaise, tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Spread each baguette slice with 1 teaspoon cheese mixture; top with 3 slightly overlapping slices of beet. Enjoy!