I’ve been mowing down on these healthy appetizers since I saw them in Bon Appetit a couple of weeks ago. Simple to throw together and full of healthy fats, avocado is the perfect topping for grilled sourdough – just don’t forget the copious amounts of large flake sea salt, red pepper flakes and EVOO! Enjoy!
This is one of my favorite summer recipes. It’s delicious and looks fussier than it is!
Here’s how to make these delightful little bites…
1. Take a log of goat cheese out of the fridge and let it warm on the counter while you’re cooking away.
2. Roast the tomatoes… If you’ve never roasted tomatoes, it’s easy. Read this.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, slice a baguette as thinly as possible. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Place cookie sheet in the oven with the tomatoes and toast until lightly golden, about 10-15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and place on a platter for serving.
4. Spread the room temperature goat cheese on the toasts.
5. When the tomatoes are done, remove from oven and place one or two on top of each piece of toast. Press gently so the juicy insides squeeze out onto the cheese.
6. Drizzle plate with olive oil, garnish with micro-basil or thinly sliced basil.
Looking for an impressive appetizer that’s easy to prepare for your next cocktail party? Wow your guests with these foie gras toasts.
Foie Gras Toasts
1 torchon of foie gras (available from speciality food stores such as Balducci’s or Dean and Deluca)
1 loaf white sandwich bread
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 jar of your favorite jam or jelly – (I recommed sour cherry jam as the tartness goes well with the richness of the foie gras.)
Start by cutting the crust off the bread then cutting the squares into triangles. Lightly coat with butter and then “toast” by cooking on a non-stick skillet over medium heat until lightly golden brown. Flip and repeat. Once all bread has been toasted, set it aside while cutting foie gras.
Remove foie gras from refrigerator and slice into thin rounds. (The colder the foie gras, the better it will be to handle.) Using a mini cookie cutter, carefully cut out the desired shape from the rounds. Prepare as many “slices” as you have triangles of bread. Set aside.
Spread the sour cherry jam on triangles of bread and top with cutout of foie gras. Serve immediately.