I’m obsessed with the newest thing in the cocktail industry – homemade “jello shots” !!!! Yes, similar to those ones you had in college, but not disgusting! While on vacation, I took the opportunity to whip up a bunch of different versions, including these grapefruit margarita ones – give them a whirl – I can’t wait to hear what you think!
1 1/3 cup grapefruit soda (I used Izzy’s sparkling juice)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tsp sugar
2 envelopes Knox gelatin
2/3 cup tequila
Fresh grapefruit segments for garnish, if desired
Pour soda, lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow the gelatin to soak for a minute or two. Heat over very low heat until gelatin is dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
Mixture may be foamy initially, but this will disapate. Remove from heat.
Stir in the tequila. Pour mixture into loaf pan.
Place in refrigerator to set (several hours or overnight).
To serve, cut into desired shapes. Garnish each jelly shot with a small grapefruit segment, if desired. CHEERS!
Makes 18 to 24 grapefruit margarita shots!
During the colder months of the year a big bowl of oatmeal with maple syrup and bruleed grapefruit are two of my favorite indulgences for breakfast. Warming the citrus helps mellow out the tartness and with just a little sprinkle of brown sugar you’ll think you are eating dessert.
Preheat the broiler then simply cut the grapefruit in half and sprinkle with brown sugar. Once the oven is hot, place grapefruit under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Serve warm with a little sprig of mint.
Filed under Food, Recipes
5. – San Francisco Chronicle Alameda distiller helps make absinthe legitimate again Looking for the hallucinogenic beverage you sipped while studying abroad in Europe? Wel, it’s now legal in the United States and available in a few select liquor stores.
4. – Sacramento Bee What’s Ripe: A super-sweet grapefruit making its way to markets If you love grapefruit flavored things, but find the fruit just a bit to acidic and tart, you are in luck. A new sweeter variety of grapefruit (cocktail grapefruit) is making its way into a store near you.
3. – Sea Coast Online Care for an Appetizer? “Call them what you will — appetizers, hors d’oeuvres, starters, antipasto, tapas — they are the same. These little plates of goodies were originally meant to stimulate and tease the palate. They remain so to this day. Some just make a meal of them and forgo the main course.”
2. – Pittsburgh Tribune Review Gourmet Approach Possible with Slow Cookers For tips and tricks on making a gourmet (read not something from a college dorm room) meal in your Crockpot, read on…
1. – NY Times Fresh from the Farm: California Caviar If sustainability is your thing, I am guessing there will be no caviar from the Caspian Sea as part of your holiday meal. Read this for a review of a couple of California caviar companies.