Dried beans can be quite the money saver over canned, especially when bought in bulk. Here’s how I soak and cook them.
- I start by sorting through the beans to make sure there aren’t any little stones or debris.
- Then place in a large bowl and cover with double the amount of water as there were beans.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit overnight, or at least for 8 hours.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a large pot.
- Cover with water by 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover partially, and cook until tender. This will take between 1 and 2 hours.
- Use as usual. Enjoy!