This holiday season as you are thinking about all the giving of gifts, don’t forget to give back. Here are a few local charities you can help.
- Feed the Hungry – McKenna’s Wagon is a mobile soup kitchen operated by Martha’s Table. They are always looking for volunteers to help drive the “soup kitchen” (vans) around.
- Help the Capital Area Food Bank – For $15, you can pay for Thanksgiving food basket for a “seasoned member of the community” (meaning a senior citizen). You can also volunteer — check it out!
- Miriam’s Kitchen is looking for personal item donations, volunteer time, and financial contributions.
- Participate in the Homeless Walkathon on November 17th. Since it is only $25, you can rope a bunch of friends into walking with you!
- DC Central Kitchen (yes, they are the charity of Capital Food Fight) is selling virtual turkeys to help actually get turkeys out to families in need directly from their distributors, rather than having overflowing freezers. For $75 you are helping 30 meals for families in need!
Thanks to WhereInDC for the info on Capital Area Food Bank and Mirian’s Kitchen.