D’Avigon Radishes from the Dupont Farmer’s Market (The D’Avigon is a traditional radish from Southern France – great eaten on salads or in sandwiches)
1. Scientific classification Raphanus sativus, radishes are a root vegetable that became popular in Europe, Pre-Roman era.
2. In addition to their delightful flavor and crisp texture, radishes have long had a place in the holistic healing community.
3. Radishes can be categorized into 4 main groups – summer, winter, spring and fall. The fall and winter varieties can be stored longer during those cold winter months without becoming soft. The spring and summer varieties are best eaten within a week or two of harvesting.
4. Full of nutritional value, radishes are a good source of folic acid, potassium, vitamin B6 and riboflavin.
5. Radishes are best eaten raw as their peppery flavor and crisp texture is a great addition to a salad or sandwich. Simply thinly slice them with a knife or mandoline and enjoy!